My practice is focused on commercial and investment arbitration. I act as counsel in arbitral proceedings and in court proceedings often dealing with actions to set aside awards. I also represent clients in the recognition and enforcement of awards. Receiving an appointment as arbitrator is always an honour. I have served as sole, chair and party-appointed arbitrator.
Prior to founding Westerberg, I was a partner at Lindahl law firm. Before joining the firm’s dispute resolution practice in 2012, I worked with mergers and acquisitions, corporate and contract law.
Most of the cases, in which I have acted as counsel or served as arbitrator, are related to Russia, CIS or Baltic countries. That is because, besides Swedish and English, I am fully proficient in Russian, while my native language is Latvian. I head Westerberg’s East European Group which, in its size and experience, is unrivaled on the Swedish legal market. We offer advice and conduct proceedings in Russian and English.
In terms of industry knowledge, I particularly enjoy working on disputes in the telecom, IT and data protection areas. My interest in this field is a legacy of the seven years I spent as sales representative and project manager at Ericsson, the Swedish telecom giant.
I am proud to have been recognized as "Future Leader" in Arbitration in 2017, 2018 and 2019 by Global Arbitration Review’s sister publication Who's Who Legal. I currently serve as auditor for the Young Arbitrators Sweden association and I am member of the Swedish Bar Association, Swedish Arbitration Association, the London Court of International Arbitration and Swedish Women in Arbitration Network.
Notable representations include acting for:
• Moldovan investors in set-aside proceedings and enforcement proceedings of the arbitral award worth USD 500 million against the Republic of Kazakhstan;
• a major Russian natural resources company against the Republic of Lithuania in annulment proceedings defending an arbitral award rendered under SCC rules before the Svea Court of Appeal;
• a Spanish corporation in its successful claims against two Russian companies acting in the oil sector in arbitration seated in Stockholm under SCC rules;
• the Russian regions in arbitration proceedings against a French multinational oil and gas company under the UNCITRAL rules in Stockholm as well as in associated court proceedings in Sweden;
• a leading Russian mining company against a Czech company in arbitration related to a purchase of equipment and services agreement under the SCC rules in Stockholm (in Russian);
• the Federal Customs Service and the Government of the Russian Federation against a Moldovan company in arbitration under the ICC rules in Stockholm as well as in related annulment proceedings before the Svea Court of Appeal;
• a Chinese company in its successful defence against a major European communications company in arbitration under the ICC rules seated in Stockholm as well as before the Swedish courts in proceedings related to document production.
Latest speaking engagements and publications
• “Emergency proceedings in investment arbitration”, BCDR-AAA/SCC Joint Conference on Salient Issues in Investment Arbitration, Manama, November 2018 (speaker);
• “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, November 2018 (speaker);
• “International Commercial Arbitration: Textbook” (in Russian), 2nd edition, 2018, authoring the chapter on arbitration in Sweden.
• “How to write an arbitral award”, panel at Global Arbitration Review: Live in Stockholm, May 2018 (speaker);
• “Conflict of interests and challenges to arbitrators”, Young Arbitrators Sweden annual conference, Stockholm, November 2017 (speaker);
• “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, October 2017 (speaker);
• “Joining third parties to the pending arbitration proceedings”, Seminar on Innovations in 2017 SCC Arbitration Rules, organized by SCC, Minsk, September 2017 (speaker);
• “Admissibility of unlawfully obtained evidence”, Conference titled “Collecting Bad Debts: Throwing Good Money after Bad?”, organized by Russian Arbitration Association, Moscow, June 2017 (speaker);
• “Arbitral Institutions Handling Investment Claims: Overview of the Rules”, panel discussion at a seminar on “Filing an Investment Claim: Strategic Choices and Practical Steps”, in conjunction with Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot, Frankfurt, March 2017 (moderator);
• “Spotlight on Russia and CIS Energy Disputes”, 6th Conference on International Dispute Resolution involving Russian and CIS Parties, organized by C5, London, January 2017 (speaker);
• “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, October 2016 (speaker);
• “Admissibility of illegally obtained evidence”, International Corporate Counsel College by IADC, Brussels, October 2016 (speaker);
•“Emergency Proceedings under the SCC Rules”, Panel Discussion, Investment Arbitration under the SCC Rules, Frankfurt, March 2016 (moderator);
• “Arbitral awards involving parties from CIS countries are contested twice as often than other awards”, (in Russian) article in Legal Insight №1 (47), February 2016.